Monday, November 15, 2010

Thankfulness Post Day 4

Today I'm thankful for sports and a body that allows me to participate in them. One of the few blessings that I can not understand is why God gave me a physique that allows me to enjoy sports and he denies it to other people. I am not ignorant of this blessing and I thank God for it almost everyday. With the exception of a very few and very rare spiritual experiences I've never had a greater feeling of being alive, of having my mind soul and spirit all united in one clear purpose then when I've been playing sports. This unity of soul spirit mind is indeed rare, and with it comes a complete sense of bliss but not a bliss that requires us to lose scope of other things, simply it is a knowledge that amidst all the trials and storms of life their is in that specific moment a perfect balance of existence. I have not found or heard of any state of existence that is better then having one soul spirit and mind united in one purpose, our relationship with God was supposed to be like that but because of our stupidity, nature, ignorance, laziness, and fleshly body some part of us is always waging war with God or another part of ourselves, denying us that peace which is our greatest desire perfect purpose yet is as illusive as smoke on a windy day.

Two specific actions have I found to be particularly enjoying. Number one is a bit odd and probably specific to me but chasing down an opponent just makes me feel empowered. Whether I"m running after a Frisbee or football that was overthrown or a member of the other team I can almost always catch up. I've rarely been able to run faster or feel better when I'm chasing someone or something else. I am definitely not as good as most players and so I have been out maneuvered many times but I can run like a fiend if the mood takes me. I guess that comes from being perpetually on alert from the age 5 to 13. I learned to be quick from having to watch out for the homemade spear and from taking part in the full scale acorn and pine corn wars we'd have in our woods each year. The second thing is making a diving catch, few things can compare to the adrenaline rush that happens when you do something like this. No explanation needed.



Their you have it, sports are awesome and for anyone able to do them I think they ought to be enjoyed as something God gave us to take pleasure in.

1 comment: