Monday, September 13, 2010

A Walk in the Aegean

The limits of fun must not be exceeded as has clearly been explained earlier in this blog. Driving to Phillipi I was as happy as I could remember ever being, reminiscing about the lives of various warriors, philosophers, statesmen, orators, play writers, poets all of whom I have read about with bated breadth waiting for a story of courage and virtue to unfold. However in the midst of this emotional escastsy I was touched by God saying "who are you? why are you where you are? and remember that you being there is only to help fulfill my mission for you." So often I find myself getting caught up in a state of emotional mindlessness which however happy it makes me, I find it unhelpful to whatever God would have me accomplish plus the fact that its mindless inhibits me from true joy, which trusts not in mindlessness but in a conscious knowledge of God and His Spirit which reaps in us the purest and truest joy.

As I wonder through Greece, their are millions of questions running through my mind, "who walked here?, what man carved this stone? what orator spoke in this theater? what young woman was baptized in this church? how many ages of men woman and children have passed through this temple? it amazing how simply thinking about God and His glories put things back into perspective.

Yesterday we took a hike along the coast, really really beautiful. The water is so clear and extremely warm.




We happened upon an old Byzantine tower next to a cool chapel.


The only trouble was.....
The door was twenty feet off the ground.
I had to, it was fate calling me.
To commemorate our first swim in the Aegean we played another ninja game.

(to all my fans who are rooting for me in our ninja games, I was not beaten in this game, they cheated and if someone will watch the movie closely they'll notice Josh went out of turn to get me out)

I want this blog to be a bit more then pictures and captions so I'm gonna try to write a bit about what I'm learning and thinking as I travel. Sorry if that tedious for some people, I find it more fascinating then the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment