Thursday, September 2, 2010

To Much Fun

I've recently returned from a month of fun and I'll have another month starting September 9th. I'm funned out to say the least. People say that fun ought to be a part of our lives, they say its good for us they say it is essential to the healthy person. While I'm not disagreeing with these claims I'm curious as to why, when one comes back from an extended period of fun, it is more difficult to pick up the reigns of life again then it would have been to just never let them go?

As a Christian we are clearly never on "vacation" from Christianity. Its not as if we live for God 50 weeks out of the year and spend the last two "vacationing" I think that were on the call to God all the time every day. In other words, I have not yet been able to justify fun. I feel it is important because God wouldn't create something so pleasing so unperverted unless it had some purpose. If anybody out there can explain why God created a universe where he calls everyone and everything to obey Him at all times and yet He allows humans the specific right of mindless enjoyments in activities such as sports,video games, movies, ect... then explain it to me, because it continues to baffle me. My heart says its not worth figuring out but my mind says your not being a true servant of Christ if you allow yourself to mindlessly enjoy things. Clearly I am at an impass I'd like to give a long blog post with all the different theories and ideas on this topic. However I feel that from a historical perspective that men like John Welsy John Calvin, Paphnutius, Saint Ambrose, Saint Antony, would agree with my mind and say fun, while not sinful, is detrimental to the development of ones relationship with Christ and ought not be pursued. I have no other theories to look to besides such great men as those and obviously I'm not going to quote any heretical religions or philosophies cause they are, well, wrong.

Hope you all could understand that, this isn't to sound all gloomy and such, honestly I'm pretty sure they has to be an answer out there, I just dont have it yet. Hope one of you do. Feel free to comment with any ideas you have on the subject.


PS. I'm co authoring a book this year as part of my school and I need a topic. It is going to be a Christian explanation of some sort of issue current issue. So NOT fiction, NOT romance, NOT comedy, NOT comics, NOT historical and not Political any other ideas, leave a comment with what you think would be interesting to read about.

1 comment:

  1. Caleb, intresting that you mention this, because I've been considering this.
    I don't think you can have any neutrality on fun. Either it is sinful, or it is not. Make sense?
    I think fun consitutes if done properly as rejoicing. So since we are told to rejoice, then I don't think you can call fun sinful. My only explanation so far for fun is that the mind can not work nonstop, that it needs a break sometimes, it needs to rejoice, have fun. A very bad analogy is this. In violin playing to really do your best you should be practicing from to to six hours a day(minus Sunday). However it is very difficult to impossible to practice nonstop for six hours. Your mind and fingers need ten minute breaks everynow and then. I guess I'm trying to say God gave us fun as a break from work, that doesn't mean we break from Christianity though.
    I think your making a false equation between having fun and taking a break from Christianity...
    Anyway my very convoluted thoughts, I hope you understood what I'm trying to say.

    ~Lady Amy~

    ReplyDelete