Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Brush With The Law

Driving along, cruising the radio, making a pick up and I see the flashing lights. In the past those flashing lights were always for someone else, this time they stopped when I stopped, this time, it was dark, I was alone, this time, I hadn't brushed my hair. This time I'd forgotten my license....oh bother. 

The media's full of the injustice done in the name of justice by the boys in blue. My peers are full of stories about the unfair, extreme extents coppers will go to get an "innocent" kid in trouble. All these stories rush through my mind as I sit already having realized that I've left my license at home and have no good excuse. 

Fortunately my brother is a police officer and he's explained what they do, why they do what they do and how they do what they do. In combat to the stories of the media arises the experience and advice of my brother. First, the officer lets you sit in your car for a little. Second, he shines his flashlight right in your eyeballs. Third, he asks you random, non-important questions to see if you're coherent and act guilty.  Fourth he asks for relevant information, license? (which I don't have) registration? why I have a backseat full of trashbags? (it's bread from Panera I promise) Fifth he lets you sit in your car awhile longer while he goes back and either processes your information or just has a few sips of coffee while you marinate in your own anxiety. Sixth he comes back and gives you the greatest news in your life or totally ruins your day. It's funny how just being given permission to do what you were going to do anyway can make your day a thousand times better.

To be fair, objectively profiled I fit some of the criteria for a drug user. My car objectively profiled fits all the criteria for something illegal. I can't blame him for pulling me over. To be fair to me, I saw his car parked a good ways away and was obediently driving within the lines at an appropriate speed, giving him a difficult time coming up with something to pull me over for.  I've learned that several laws exist just for the sole purpose of giving officers an excuse to pull cars over who are suspicious. I was made aware of such a law last night. After the non-relevant questions the officer proceeded to inform me that he pulled me over because my rear license plate was not adequately illuminated. I was a little disappointed, I was hoping to be accused of something a bit more exciting. 

As it stands I enjoyed my brief brush with the law. I had my police radar on and perceived him before he saw me. He was just checking to make sure a suspicious looking car wasn't doing anything nefarious on a Friday night and he used great creativity and zero force to do so. I respect his creativity and appreciate his lack of aggression, I would have a much harder time respecting a police officer who sues force as opposed to wit to do his job.

Above is all my opinion on a police officer pulling me over at about 10:30pm, October 9th, 2015 I hope the officers reflections on it agree with mine. He might have just been bored and checking if his lights worked. No harm, no foul either way. 

****The past two months have been very busy with work and family but now the farming season is slowing down and I have more time on my hands and will be blogging more often. ***

ps, please comment or email me with grammatical errors which you'd like me to fix. I appreciate your careful reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment