Monday, October 26, 2015

Time





Time is relative. We all know this. The past flew, the future is an eternity away. Work drags. Vacation sprints. It is only in mathematics that time is constant. The progression of the universe towards it's ultimate end is hardly a regular beat. Somethings cycle seemingly endlessly. Others fade and are lost. Much wisdom of the past is lost forever to the detriment of modern man. The universe goes in a cycle yes but not in a circle as some would have us think. Much that has been will come again but not again in the same. The world flows in spirals sometimes up sometimes down sometimes spreading out or drawing inwards. 


I think a good question to ask ourselves and others. In addition to asking "how are you" it might help us to ask, "how fast is your time going?" What parts of life go quickly and what parts will just never end? Do you remember anything as having taken along time? Or do all memories flash and seem as if they happened in a moment? With some people you wish time would slow down, with others that it would speed up. A best friend you can spend forever with? Maybe you will spend forever with them. What about time with God? Obviously God is always with us and He doesn't seem to mind our company too much. When we spend time with Him though some respond differently then others. Alot of people can't seem to enjoy prayer at all, it's a struggle and a constant fight just to finish without letting thoughts wander or the eyelids fall. The trouble is, alot of us who seem to have such a hard time with prayer will in actuality be spending eternity with God.
Another good question to ask is "what is heaven supposed to be like?" Alot of people are excited about heaven but not excited at all about time with God or with God's people. This seems a little strange to me, but I don't know for other people. I know I have a hard time getting through to God. Once I'm there though I am never dissatisfied. This sorta makes me think that the people who don't like to pray are probably not actually praying at all. They are perhaps knocking on the wrong door, or dialing the wrong number. Getting the connection to God can be hard work. First the person must be intentional. Deciding to silence your feelings and enter into a non sensory conversation is very unconventional and many are told to do it but few are trained how. Practice is essential here. Stop listening to your body, ignore that itch, let the bug crawl across your knee, don't fall asleep. This is phase one. Phase two is organizing your thoughts. A person will find that once they can quiet their body and settle into a position without falling asleep that their thought life becomes very interesting.This is very good, because your mental muscles are finally free to work in a way they aren't when your constantly focused on feelings. However this is still not prayer. everyone like Winnie the Pooh ought to have a thinking spot where they are intentional about thinking. Howver beyond this lies a realm of greater things.Through the buzzing of thought lies God the almighty, God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob willing to interact with you about life.  There He sits, lord of time never impatient, always ready.


I find that in that space time becomes irrelevant. I converse with God mentally. Often mouthing the words with my lips saying the words in my head. Do not talk to God as if he's reading your thoughts. I need to talk to God as a person to a Being. Framing sentences, constructing ideas and implementing proper grammar. Backtracking when I make a mistake and restating what I meant more clearly, not because He doesn't understand but so that I can better understand my own intentions.
Image result for winnie the pooh quotes
Those are some thoughts on prayer and time. I hope that my thoughts will prompt thoughts of your own and maybe a comment or a share....or my favorite, a question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment