Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thankfulness Post #2

     In our modern age of cheap literature produced with minimal effort or thought it is all too common for reading to be merely a means to escape reality. Good fiction literature, does not necessarily represent reality as it appears to the reader but it should open up the reader to a deeper reality than what his own life circumstances force him to interact with everyday. Today I'm thankful for Fyodor Dostoevsky and Leo Tolstoy who have captivated me time and again and brought me to worlds away from the world I live in. I'm grateful to them because all the time I spent in the worlds they created only helped me better understand the world I had to come back to whenever I put away their books. 

I'll buy their books simply because they are written by them which I don't do for many authors. 
They are two of the greatest Russian authors and perhaps of the greatest authors ever to put pen to paper. For them putting pen to paper was not an expression. Just imagine for a moment writing, by hand, in a legible script, books hundreds and hundreds of pages long. The forearms of these men must have been like iron and their wrists like steel. 
Currently I'm reading Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky and thoroughly enjoying it. 




  The story, The Three Questions is particularly person for me. I heard it the first time in story tape form when I eight. The story teller was fantastic and the last lines are etchedd into my mind. I hope forever they will stay there forever. The three questions are, 1. What is the right time for every action? 2. Who are the most important people? 3. What is the most important thing to do? The story concludes and the hermit in answer to the three questions says, "Remember than there is only one time that is important, now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power. We can do nothing about yesterday and what happens tomorrow depends on what you do now. The most important person is the man who your with. For you will never know if you'll ever have a chance to help another person and to do that person good is our most important business because for that purpose alone was man sent into this life." 

No comments:

Post a Comment