Monday, December 7, 2015

Advent 2015 To Be A Martyr

"Religious platitudes are worthless" said my pastor this morning. He was referencing the quote "Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of (insert unfortunate event)" How many thousands of people tweet, post, update this message, or something similar with the childish idea that their thirty seconds of well intentioned thought will do any good whatsoever towards fixing the problem or bringing healing to the suffering. No one with who has seriously considered the issues believes that good intentions fix anything. Such foolishness is for postmodernists and relativists. 

Christianity has come too far and accomplished too much for us too participate in this kind of intellectual suicide. Of course it's easier. It's easy to sit on my couch, to here the heartbrekaing news of drone strikes gone wrong, governments politicizing mass shootings, big business's sacrificing people for profit ect.. and shoot off a prayer like another text message. What is sad is that by doing this we believe we've actually done something admirable. Group think is very powerful. *sigh* 

Let's turn now to the men and women who weren't content to do nothing. They saw through the facade and realized that Jesus didn't call us to casually observe suffering with a heart full of pity. These disciples were followers of Christ and not of popularity. What words can describe these holy martyrs. Men and women who had already scarified their lives while still breathing. Not counting equality with God a thing to be grasped they humbled themselves, becoming obedient, even to death. So God raised them up. For in His kingdom the first shall be last and the last shall be first. Few examples better bear testimony to this truth then the life of Mother Teresa. Humbling herself and serving the poorest of the poor, even on this earth she was raised up and was honored by kings, presidents and the powers that be. To what extent she has been honored in heaven I know not but I look forward to seeing upon arrival there myself. 

Her daily prayer is one of wisdom for all who would be like her. 
Dear Jesus, Help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go. Flood my soul with Thy spirit and love. Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine. Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with may feel Thy presence in my soul. Let them look up and see no longer me but only Jesus. Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine, so to shine as to be a light to others. Amen 

Such is the prayer of a living martyr. One whose life is already lost to them. The fields are so ripe, the laborers are so few, the world is in such need, the heart of humanity has grown cold, people despair and are beaten down under depression and anxiety. In this season we celebrate good news of great joy that will be fore all people. First let's make sure we understand that good news ourselves. Second, let's share that good news around. 




Pax Vobiscum until tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment