Friday, September 19, 2014

When Will My Life Begin

This song is an indicator of what my moods been like for the past week. My mom left with Nathan and Sarah on Monday. So every morning, at 7:30 my dad and siblings leave for work and school. I get the house to myself and while I'm far less industries than Rapunzel, my essential schedule is the same. 1 Read, 2 Clean 3 Brush hair.


"Don't cry over spilled milk" I heard that growing up, usually as a joke when a sibling actually did spill their milk. It is though, common idiom. You probably have heard it also and it makes alot of sense. The principle is, if you can't change something bad that's happened, don't waste time feeling bad about it. 
Several times in my life, I have blundered into a situation in which someone has made a mistake they can't unmistake and they are feeling bad about. I have said something to the effect of, "well, no use moping about it." Rarely does this sort of advice go over well and I apologize if you have been the recipient of my well intentioned but foolish counsel. Last Wednesday I received word that my job in China which I had been planning on and preparing for since May is no longer available to me and that I need to find other work. This news was difficult to process and I was thoroughly displeased. Several hours after the fact, I was displeased that I had been displeased. I had cried over spilled milk a habit I thought I had grown out of in middle school. For the second half of last week I was in a mild state of funk trying to answer the question, "when is it alright to cry over spilled milk?" Humans cry about things all the time. Some times we cry for important things, mostly though we cry and get upset and destroy friendships, hurt people and ignore God over things that really aren't that big of a deal. We make a big mess out of things that started out small. We let a bad grade put us in a bad mood for an entire day. We let a sarcastic joke become a personal insult that festers in our hearts tainting the way we look at that person and the world. I let some sad news alter my perspective for almost an entire week. 
I know some people will say, "well I just feel the way I feel and can't help it." I don't know about that, most people who claim that I think simply just want an excuse to cry over their milk. The only comment I will make is that to give oneself permission to feel a certain way encourages that way of feeling to grow stronger. Personally I very much dislike when my feelings cloud my reason and they become so strong that I have a hard time understanding what's going on around me. Other people seem to enjoy that and maybe it's ok for them to live that way. I assume though, that the salvation of Jesus Christ extends to the entirety of our person. Meaning that as we seek the Lord more and more earnestly our whole personality will shift and alter and become more like Him whom we serve. This results in not just actions becoming more godly but our thoughts, our moods, our instincts will all transform into their godliest aspect. This is very encouraging because it doesn't mean I have to somehow remove sadness from my life, it just means I have to learn what things are worth being sad about, or happy about, or angry about or caring about at all. 
Anyway, I'm kinda done thinking about all that. My conclusion is; when you've spilled milk or someone else has spilled it on you don't spend very long thinking about whether you should cry or not cry. Whether you are crying or not just go clean up the milk and try not to spill it again. 

Fun Fact of Today
The Japanese Imperial Family has ruled Japan for over 2,600 years. 
Emperor Hirohito and Admiral Yamamoto

I also found this gem of a website last week. It includes several speeches by King George VI. 
http://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/georgevi.pdf
King George VI
                                                         

1 comment:

  1. Caleb I'm really sorry to hear about your opportunity in China not working out. I will absolutely be praying for you as you determine where you want to go from here. I also want to say that I seriously enjoy reading your blog as it is intellectually stimulating, interesting, it makes me thoughtful, and it reminds me of the cool Caleb that always has something that is worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete