Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Thoughts From My Drive Home

There is something strange about car rides. Somehow serious conversations are easier to have in the car. Somehow some of my best thoughts come spontaneously as I'm driving. I hear the shower is like that for some people. They can just be standing there, showering along and 90% of their shower is deep reflection on life and only 10% is actually devoted to getting clean.

Whatever the reason and I'm sure there is one for this phenomenon. I had an encouraging thought while driving home from work tonight. The moon was high, the stars were out and not many cars were around. It's time like that when I like the roll the windows down, drive real slow and just enjoy the experience. As usual I was driving my car, see photo. Recently Calvin, has been having trouble with his muffler. He sounds like a race car and I never have to worry about hitting animals on the road because they are scared away long before I ever get close enough to hit them.
|This is Calvin. 1992 Camry.


So tonight I was driving, enjoying the moon. I was listening to the song below

A Really Nice Song

Now if your picturing this in your mind you've realized there is a major contrast. On one hand is the beautiful night, the shining moon and reflective flute music. While on the other hand is a loud old Toyota Camry that is doing it's very best to let me know that it's old and grumpy and doesn't like going over thirty miles an hour. The thought came to me, that this contrast is what most of us deal with all the time. There is always the presence of God in the universe bringing beauty, order, rhythm and symphony. Yet there is also always, a throbbing noise, demanding our attention, *needing* us to attend to it. There is always homework to do, books to read, humans to love, dumb people to teach, bills to pay, cleaning to do, the list goes on.

I was reminded tonight that the noise and chaos of our lives doesn't lessen in anyway the beauty of what God is doing. I can pick which one I'm going to focus on. Both are there and it would be silly for me to ignore one and try to live my life pretending that only one exists. See it's the beauty of eternal music that gives us motivation to struggle through the chaos and uncertainty of the daily noise. To quote a wise hobbit, We can triumph over the hard things in life, "because there's still good in this life and it's worth fighting for." I'm going to try and pay closer attention to the beautiful background music that God plays in my life because it is what helps me stay focused when my car get's really loud and  life get's really demanding.

I don't know the formula for this yet but somehow, I find that the harder life gets and the louder the noise, the more beautiful the music is in the background. I think God knows what we're dealing with and He changes His tune to help us through the details of our days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment