Thursday, April 10, 2014

Question 3 From A Good Conversation

3. What would I do if I could not fail?

To begin with this question needs to be better defined. The original context of the question didn't allow for literally anything to happen. The question isn't asking, what would I do if I were God and could bend the laws of morality and physics or alter the nature of metaphysics and time. So within a reasonable human sense what would I do if I couldn't fail.

Still the possibilities are endless and exciting. Perhaps they are even more exciting now that we've quantified the question. Now, rather than asking "what would you do if you could do the impossible?" we are asking, "of all the things that are possible which would you like most to do?" This means that these following dreams are not mere fantasies but feasible goals which with proper effort and preparation could potentially become reality.

Fantasying about the impossible has it's place in a healthy personality. but more important in my opinion is to dream within the bounds of real life.  The world is full of powerful resources and no human being has maximized their potential. When you're willing to work hard and dream big and think rationally miracles can happen.

Now for an actual answer. If I could not fail, first I'll have a family of 8 children. I'll probably do this anyway but the assurance that I won't fail would certainly be a nice confidence boost. Secondly I'll learn to dance. I'll probably never do this unless my wife turns out to be a great dancer in which case she could teach me. Third, I'll be a king of some country and rule it with an iron fist. I'll certainly never do this unless some entirely unforeseen events alter the course of my life. Fourth, I'll become proficient enough in my knowledge of Plato, Augustine and Lewis to quote them like I can quote scripture. Fifth, I'd be a much more social person. I am really good at seeing things that are wrong. I'm not usually good at fixing them. I'm certainly trying to be a better communicator and a person better able to address the issues of my fellow human beings but knowing I wouldn't fail would be awesome. The possibility of failing makes it scary to try and help someone else because often I can leave the other person worse off than when I found them because I totally failed at being of any help.

I will publicly thank my anonymous friend who gave me the three question. Below is the ending theme song for an anime I watched earlier this week. Cool characters, awesome hair and an epic plot twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment