Thursday, November 19, 2009

Friendship

Overall I'm finding relationships to be far more complicated and
difficult than they should be. This is going to sound really morbid and
controversial but I think you all can deal with it. My opinion right now is that people
have their uses but overall people are overrated and put into
positions that God was meant to fill
.
*waits for the gasps to quit down* yes, yes, I know, but the
question that brought me to that conclusion is "what can we get from
people that we are supposed to get from God?" Virtually everything
that people look for in a friend is something God already wants to
give them, just people are easier to get what we want out of so we
naturally turn to people rather than God.
Example's being comradeship, comfort, joy, peace, identity ect. All
these things God is waiting to give us and I dont see why I would want
to get those out of some friend, opposed to getting it out of the
creator of the universe.

I'm not saying we should all go be hermits somewhere and live to
understand God. People have their purpose. We are, because of our love
for God, want to help other people. That I think is the ultimate
purpose of friendship, to help other people. So when I have a problem
I should be able to come to one of you and tell you and I should find
a person who is willing to help me. That in my opinion is what
friendship is all about. Not about getting comfort or someone to have
fun with but to have someone who can get me back on track with God so I
can get comfort from Him, the source of it.

Hope that made sense it was written in a hurry

7 comments:

  1. and the awesome font messed up the layout, *sigh* sorry about that

    ReplyDelete
  2. so..maybe I misunderstood your post, but a couple things. You are created with a longing to be well friends with someone. No, friendship is not just about getting somebody to get you back on track with God. In fact that is fairly personal, although yes outside help is often needed, and appreciated. In the beginning made man, and said "it is not good for man to be alone" People NEED other people. Was God there to provide the things that friends provide for people for Adam? Yes he was, but God said that it wasn't GOOD for man to be alone, and made him a helpmeet. Granted it was a woman(which shows just how awesome women are. :-) ) but that doesn't it change it. So umm basically you are committing the fallacy of I think part to whole. Just because my cat can hunt mice and eat them does not mean I don't need to feed him, because the truth mice are slim eating, and by this point he's caught most of the mice around. Bad analogy, but the point is as humans we are created with a need for somebody other than just ourselves and God, and I mostly disagree with what you said, although I do agree that God does provide a lot of the things that friends do. One last thing God can get us "back on track" with him just fine without the help of friends.
    Wow I guess we really can't agree on anything. :-) Sorry for the long post. :-)
    Lady Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance I agree mostly with what you are saying. Especially the fact that people are overrated. But I can see some of the points that Amy is making.
    I hope my comment won't sound like a repeat of anything she's saying, but I want to post my original thoughts.
    I thought of the same verse where God said "It is not good for man to be alone". From which I believe it is not bad at all for us to long for company outside our relationship with God (please don't misinterpret that I used the word outside). God planned it to be like that. He knew when He created us that no one would be able to stand being alone, with only Him all their life.
    The other one of my points would be that we were put on earth to learn to love. To love God and to love others. We can only learn to love others by having relationships with them.
    So while I love the song Enough and know the words to it are true, I think we also need to establish relationships with others. You may have uncovered a bit of an antinomy here. I used to be in a very intresting Bible study where we studied the antinomies of the Bible. Such as God chose us vs. the option of salvation is for all. Or us being able to make our own descisions vs. God having an absolute plan. I still love that you said people are overrated. But overrated doesn't mean completely unneeded. I'm sorry if this post doesn't make sense. I have a nack for saying things that I know make sense deep inside but no one I tell seems to understand. Maybe I'm just bad at putting things to words.
    I would love to hear what you think about my ideas in this post. This is an awesome blog, and I do think the name you chose with your explanation is really cool.
    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. AC thanks for agreeing. :-) I'm just curious, could you and Caleb define what you mean by "overated"? Thanks, because I'm not sure what you mean, and it majorly effects whether I agree or not. :-)
    ~Lady Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for replying guys, you both brought some legitimate points against my position. So I think thanks to what you both said and some more thinking I did, I would say that humans were created to have relationships with other people in addition to having a relationship with God and if they are both good they will help and encourage each other.

    Amy for me I used the word "overrated" because people tend to expect things of friendship that friends are required or shouldn't be expected to fulfill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I said before I'm horrible at explaining things...but I'll try. I think for me seeing overrated plainly written there just kind of woke me up. Everyone seems to have a desperation for love from other people. And to be liked and some one they can confide to. When it really isn't worth so much that we put in (or change ourselves for). A main reason for that and why I liked this blog story so much because God is there for us.
    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops meant to add that people always let us down too, I'm sure you've heard people talk about how people always let us down in one point or another of our lives. But God never does.
    -AC

    ReplyDelete