Sunday, April 26, 2015

Los Angeles Reflections

"One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives" Euripides 


     
My journal, April 7th, 2014 after spending a week in California.

Today, life is good and the sun shines bright. I've been in California since April 1. I finished work at Radnor on March 31st. Since then I've been living in fellowship with some of Sam's Biola community plus the council. Our conversations have been wholesome, our play enjoyable. The group is special, although my heart is hesitant to hope too much. Life is a difficult assailant. Everyday it rises in full health, while we are weakened by strife. Life doesn't suffer the pain of a Monday. It always gets out of bed on time full of energy. The twenty-four hours of each new day stand dark and foreboding as a challenge, a test of the human spirit. 

People are funny creatures. We can live an entire life pleasantly, calmly believing a lie. The range of human personality exceeds the imagination and I am left baffled at God's creativity and disturbed by man's ability to lose himself, his purpose and his identity as God's creature. This disturbing reality only brings me back to the awesome truth of God's mercy and greatness as He is more than capable of redeeming even those so very far lost. 

I don't have many thoughts beyond these about my time in LA. It was a wonderful week full of fun and frivolous good time. Coming home has been hard and it's difficult not to look back on vacation and wish that all of life could be that way. For better and for worse, but more for better than worse life can't be a vacation. We were created to work, to serve God and make His creation into something marvelous. So I've come back to Connecticut and am working and studying and reading and praying and waiting for the next time of sweet fellowship I get to have with these great people who I am separated from by geographical miles but am close to in my prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment