Thursday, November 6, 2014

Life Update

After living at home for twenty years and two months I actually managed to acquire a working position which has transformed my day to day existence into something terribly reminiscent of what I think adults usually have in their lives. I live at Radnor Hunt Club in Malvern PA. The oldest fox hunting club in the US. I am employed by Susie Beale who rents space from the club and operates a full service equine facility. This is her website I have lived here for two weeks and I feel like I've been here for months and months. My current position is simply a thirty day trial period determining whether I am  good fit for a longer six month working student position. So my life is full of newness and I'm going to share some with you. 

Here is a list of all the sorts of new things I have in my life

1. My own room. It's nice. 



2. An apartment. I live above a barn with haylofts on both sides of the living space. 

2.5 Two housemates who I knew nothing about prior to moving in.

3. 60+ hour work week. 

4. A different landscape. I live in Malvern PA. 

5 The street signs here are white with green letters. 

6. A whole new sort of coworkers who are different in age, ethnicity and worldview than me. 

7. I have more to do than time to do it. 

8. I don't have very many sit down meals. 



Yeah so it's weird and new and sometimes scary and sometimes exciting and sometimes annoying and sometimes hard and sometimes fun but really, honestly it reminds me alot of life at home. On the surface things have changed. I can't read or write or pray or build relationships as much as I used to. Deep down though nothings really different. Each day still begins with new challenges and each day God provides grace for each circumstance. Each day I can go to bed thankful and humbled. Thankful for what God did for me and humbled by the reality of what tomorrow would be like if He decided to take a day off. I interact with different people but each conversation is still an opportunity to love that person. "Lord how can I show You to this person?" Is still the defining perspective when dealing with people. 


A normal day for me here has six constant aspects, although, depending on weather, shows and divine intervention days sometimes become abnormal. 

1. Waking up (usually happens 5:45) 

2. Feeding and T/O (7:00) horses get fed and T/O which means turned out. The horses that were out all night get taken in and a new batch of horses are rotated out into the pastures to get sometime in the sun. Than I muck stalls for a few hours. 

3. T/O (11:00ish) After four hours or so the morning horses are brought in and any horses that didn't get let out already are led out. After the new horses are rotated out I'll generally clean tack(bridles, saddles and girths) for people who have been exercising the horses. I'll usually go for lunch around 1:30ish 

4. Feeding 2:30  The horses get fed again. The late afternoon I'll groom any horses that need to be groomed that day which can be as few as six to as many as fourteen. 
 
5. Night prep and T/O. About 4:30 I usually start getting the horses ready for the night. Depending on the weather the horses need blankets. The horses that go out for the night also where boots to help protect their hooves. Than I'll T/O the night horses which on a normal night is twelve going in various groups to seven separate fields. . Usually lessons will go until 6 and students will hang around until 6:30ish so after they leave I am basically done. 

6. Night Check The last thing that gets done happens around 9:30 when we go and take a last look at all the horses. Give all the horses some hay for the night and just basically check to make sure no horse really hurt themselves and is bleeding out. 




Goodnight for now, Enjoy this song. I hope to write again later his week continuing on with the theme of relationship with God. 

2 comments:

  1. Thrilled to have a "blow by blow" idea of your life in my mind so that when I picture you, there is definition and a setting. WOndering about interactions with housemates? Do you ever eat together? Do anything at night together yet?What do others do in their free times? Do you like horses or too soon to know if that feeling is there to stay? Love you friend. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. My housemates are great/ One is from the U.K. and she uses great words like "fortnight" and "mate" which is fun. The other is from Colorado and she is just nice. They have less free time than I do but we will go out shopping together and sometimes for Chinese food when we're just too tired to cook. We will often eat dinner together and watch Jeopardy.

    I like horses, I don't love them. This sort of work is good I think for this season of my life but I don't imagine it will be a long-term commitment.

    ReplyDelete